Ferlach wheel-lock pistol, around 1640

Gunsmith Hans Schmidt (around 1600–1669) and (presumed) barrelsmith Thomas Hönigg (verifiably dated 1638/41)

Foto: UMJ/N. Lackner

In the mid-16th century, gunsmiths from the Netherlands settled in Ferlach, Carinthia, using their extensive technical knowledge to establish a prominent centre of weapon production. In 1638 Hans Schmidt, a talented craftsman and clever businessman, assumed a key position. So the great age of the Ferlach gunsmiths began.

 

Born in Riedlingen, Upper Swabia in 1600, Hans Schmidt worked as a gunmaker in Ferlach from 1626 on. He is thought to have first trained as a stockmaker. At the age of just 26 he was commissioned by Archduke Leopold V of Tyrol to produce two guns and two powder flasks. Further orders, such as a walking stick and an ornamented staff, demonstrate that his exquisite work was held in high regard.

 

Decoration with finely engraved silver plates and inlaid threadsand pins made of silver or iron are typical of his work. This technique was used by gunmakers as early as around 1600 in Paris for Louis XIII and around 1620 by master gunmakers in Germany.

 

Beyond this, Schmidt also understood the techniques of locking mechanisms and of barrelsmithing. A document from 1636 records that the Carinthian estates appointed the “honourable, skilful” Hans Schmidt as the “true” officer and master fitter of the barrel hammer and rifle workshop. He oversaw master gunsmiths, barrelsmiths and stock-makers as well as their journeymen and apprentices.

 

Two years later, Siegmund Ludwig Count of Dietrichstein engaged the “master fitter” to inspect all of the products made by the master craftsmen settled on his manor. All of the goods had to be marked with the coat of arms of the lord of the manor, Siegmund Ludwig Count of Dietrichstein – two wine knives in a cartouche. Detailed records of this also reveal large deliveries of pistols and carbines to the Graz armoury. In 1656, Emperor Ferdinand III awarded Hans Schmidt the noble title of “von und zu Helding”. His works are among the best European handguns of the 17th century.  

 

Foto: UMJ/N. Lackner
Foto: UMJ/N. Lackner

Since the end of the 19th century, only hunting weapons have been produced in Ferlach. In 2010 the traditional craft of the Ferlach gunsmiths was included in the List of Intangible Cultural Heritage in Austria by UNESCO. 

Collection



Learn more about the collection in the Landeszeughaus! 

more...

Permanent Collection

Styrian Armoury

Living History

01.04.2017-31.12.2025 > Styrian Armoury

The Landeszeughaus is considered the largest preserved historical armory in the world. Get an impression of the approximately 32,000 objects from the 15th to 18th centuries!

more...

Styrian Armoury

Herrengasse 16
8010 Graz, Österreich
T +43-316/8017-9810
zeughaus@museum-joanneum.at

 

Opening Hours
27. March 2021 to 31. October 2021 Tue-Sun, public holidays 10am - 5pm

admission without a guided tour (brochure)


01. November 2021 to 31. March 2022 Tue-Sun, public holidays 11am - 5pm

admission only as part of a guided tour


01. April 2022 to 30. October 2022 Tue-Sun, public holidays 10am - 5pm
01. November 2022 to 31. March 2023 Tue-Sun, public holidays 11am - 5pm

Due to the current Covid regulations, the number of participants for guided tours is limited in all houses of the Universalmuseum Joanneum.
Please visit our calendar. Guided tours on advance notice at +43-316/8017 9810.

 

1st November 2021
18th April 2022
6th June 2022
15th August 2022
26th December 2022

24th/25th December 2021
1st January 2022
1st March 2022
24th/25th December 2022