Field armour of Archduke Karl II of Inner Austria

Conrad Richter, Augsburg, um 1565

Foto: UMJ/N.Lackner

Following the death of his father Ferdinand I in 1564, Archduke Charles II assumed rule of the south-eastern part of the Austrian Erblande (hereditary lands): Inner Austria. This included the duchies of Styria, Carinthia, Carniola as well as areas of the county of Gorizia, parts of Istria and Friuli, and the two Adriatic ports of Trieste and Fiume. He chose Graz as his capital and city of residence, since its good fortifications and built structures seemed to make it the most suited to his purposes.


His father’s reign was marked on the one hand by denominational tensions between the Protestant estates and the Catholic Habsburgs, and on the other by Ottoman expansion. Inner Austria directly bordered on the areas in the south of Croatia and Hungary already controlled by the Ottomans. Hence from 1522 onwards a buffer zone developed in almost depopulated Croatia between the Ottomans and the Habsburgs, which was known as the Military Frontier. The administrative management of the border was carried out from Graz together with representatives of the estates and the Hofkriegsrat (war council) of Inner Austria.


Archduke Charles II died in Graz in 1590 and was buried in Seckau Abbey. On his tomb, his effigy is wearing full armour. The original of this armour can be seen today in the Landeszeughaus. It was made around 1560 by the Augsburg armourer Conrad Richter, who was brought to Graz by the Styrian estates because of his excellent reputation. Charles II probably wore this equestrian armour in 1566 during his campaign against the Ottomans.


Erfahren Sie mehr über die Sammlung im Landeszeughaus! 


Permanent Collection

Styrian Armoury

Living History

Styrian Armoury

Das Landeszeughaus gilt als die größte erhaltene historische Waffenkammer der Welt. Gewinnen Sie einen unmittelbaren Eindruck von den rund 32.000 Objekte aus dem 15. bis 18. Jahrhundert!


Styrian Armoury

Herrengasse 16
8010 Graz, Österreich
T +43-316/8017-9810


Opening Hours

1  November 2022 to 31 March 2023 Tue-Sun, public holidays admission only with guided tour

1 April 2023 to 31 October 2023 Tue-Sun, public holidays 10am - 6pm admission without a guided tour (brochure)

Guided Tours
Please visit our calendar.
Guided tours on advance notice.
Due to the current Covid regulations, the number of participants is limited.


10th April 2023 (


1st May 2023
29th May 2023

21st February 2023
17th September 2023
24th/25th December 2023