The history of Neue Galerie Graz

In 1941, Neue Galerie Graz resulted from the division of the Landesbildergalerie of Joanneum, founded in 1811, into an Alte and a Neue Galerie (an old and a new gallery). The latter took over the stock from the 19th and 20th century, moving to Palais Herberstein in Sackstrasse 16 as a new department of the museum. With its dedication for use as a museum, the town palace was saved by Prof. Hans Riehl, the first director of Neue Galerie (1941-1955). The building had been converted by the famous baroque architect Josef Hueber before the middle of the 18th century and adapted as a palace for the Dukes of Eggenberg, succeeded by the Earls of Herberstein. Subsequent directors were Walter Koschatzky (1956-1962), Trude Aldrian (1963-1965), Wilfried Skreiner (1966-1992), Werner Fenz (1993-1997), Peter Weibel (1998) and Christa Steinle (since 1999).

Neue Galerie Graz

Joanneumquarter, access Kalchberggasse
8010 Graz, Österreich
T +43-316/8017-9100
joanneumsviertel@museum-joanneum.at

 

Opening Hours

Tues-Sun 10am-5pm

 
Guided tours: 

Sun 11am (en), Sat, Sun, public holidays 2pm (ger). For specific dates, please visit our calendar. Guided tours also on advance notice.

 

Opening Hours Library
Tues and Thurs 10am-3pm and by appointment


Opening hours OHO!
Tues - Fri 10am - 12pm
Sat 9am - 12 pm
Sun and public holidays 9am - 6pm

 

2nd April 2018
21st May 2018

24th/25th December
1st January 2018
13th February 2018
24th/25th December 2018