The collections

of the Archaeology Museum

The positive atmosphere spread among the population by Archduke Johann’s appeal to send in antiquities found in the Duchy of Styria led to considerable displeasure at the official Imperial collections of antiquities. By 1812, a decree issued by the imperial chancellery had put paid to this initiative. The decree stipulated that all archaeological finds had to be sent to Vienna.

The result of this was that, in its first decades, the Joanneum had to forego the very archaeological excavations it had inspired. Only in 1846 was the degree relaxed and the compulsory centralization suspended. It is therefore no surprise that, up to that point, the collection of antiquities grew mainly as a result of donations.

Particularly in the second half of the 19th century, items from ancient Mediterranean cultures were purchased for comparative purposes. Parallel to that, two periods became the principal subjects of Styrian archaeological research – the Hallstatt and Imperial Roman periods.


The Roman reliefs and inscriptions held by the Joanneum represent not only the largest but also the most important collection of its kind in Austria and indeed in the whole eastern Alpine region. The Lapidarium in the Palace gardens at Eggenberg contains three mosaic floors and 96 selected Roman stone artefacts from the province of Styria and part of Slovenia (formerly Lower Styria). Most of the stones belonged to funerary monuments: many represent portraits of Roman individuals; inscriptions and details of the representation such as clothing, attributes or figures of servants provide a rich testimony of ancient lives, professions and personal wealth. Mythological reliefs recall undying divine love and dedicatory altars commemorate the keeping of vows.

The Lapidarium was again made accessible to the public when the new museum was opened on 10th September 2009.

Archaeology Museum, Schloss Eggenberg

Eggenberger Allee 90
8020 Graz, Österreich
T +43-316/8017-9560


Opening Hours
27. March 2021 to 31. October 2021 Tue-Sun, public holidays 10am - 5pm
01. November 2021 to 31. March 2022

closed, but accessible as part of a guided tour by prior appointment: 1. November to 19 December 2021

01. April 2022 to 30. October 2022 Tue-Sun, public holidays 10am - 6pm
01. November 2022 to 31. March 2023

closed, but accessible as part of a guided tour by prior appointment: 1. November to 18 December 2022


1st November 2021 (

with guided tour

8th December 2021 (

with guided tour

18th April 2022
6th June 2022
15th August 2022
1st November 2022 (

with guided tour

8th December 2022 (

with guided tour


24th/25th December 2021
31st December 2021
24th/26th December 2022
31st December 2022