Palace church

The largest architectural change that took place during the Rococo redecoration of Eggenberg Palace by the architect Joseph Hueber when the "Maria Schnee" Palace Church (Our Lady of the Snows) was incorporated into the palace in place of the Eggenberg Theatre. A gallery connected the liturgy room to the state rooms on the second floor. From here the family was able to take part in services with guests. The altarpiece is one of the many copies of the depiction of Our Lady of the Snows, derived from a Byzantine icon in the Capella Borghese in Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome. This painting was held in great revere by the Habsburgs, which also seems to explain the use of the altarpiece, which was brought to Eggenberg from Pöls castle when the Imperial Court was expected to visit Eggenberg Palace in 1765. Ceiling frescos would have originally adorned the whole of the liturgy room. Part of these decorations can still be seen today above the high altar created by the artist Philipp Jacob Straub.

Schloss Eggenberg and Gardens

Eggenberger Allee 90
8020 Graz, Österreich
T +43-316/8017-9532
F +43-316/8017-9555
eggenberg@museum-joanneum.at

 

Opening Hours


State Rooms:
1 April - 31 October 2017
admission with guided tour only

Guided Tours: Tues-Sun and public holidays at 10am, 11am, 12pm, 2pm, 3pm and 4pm (exceptions may apply), and additionally by appointment.
Group visits (7 people or more) by appointment only. 

Park and Gardens:
November-March: daily, 8am-5pm

April-October: daily, 8am-7pm