Gothic chapel

Balthasar Eggenberger had a sanctuary of the Virgin Mary constructed in the tower of his estate in 1470. This "capella Beate Marie Virginis sita in Castro Eckenperg" - as it is named in an indulgence document - forms the nucleus of the castle built by his famous descendant, Prince Hans Ulrich. The square room with its magnificent vaulted ceiling is typical of Late Gothic architecture and one of a whole Europe-wide tradition of prestigious private chapels found on aristocratic estates. The small chapel itself also symbolises the significance of Christian beliefs for the people of the Middle Ages. Balthasar was definitely not a deeply religious man, but it was still important to him to ensure his own salvation after his death. He therefore donated a winged alter dedicated to the highest of all advocates, the Virgin Mary.

Schloss Eggenberg and Gardens

Eggenberger Allee 90
8020 Graz, Österreich
T +43-316/8017-9532
F +43-316/8017-9555
eggenberg@museum-joanneum.at

 

Opening Hours


State Rooms:
1 April - 31 October 2017
admission with guided tour only

Guided Tours: Tues-Sun and public holidays at 10am, 11am, 12pm, 2pm, 3pm and 4pm (exceptions may apply), and additionally by appointment.

Park and Gardens:
November-March: daily, 8am-5pm

April-October: daily, 8am-7pm