The 18th Century

 

After the male line of the Eggenberg family died out, the State Rooms were modernised, bringing them into line with the tastes of the age between 1754 and 1763.  The commissioning patrons for these alterations were the last Eggenberg princess, Maria Eleonora and her third husband, Johann Leopold Count Herberstein.

The surviving interiors, together with the three Far Eastern side rooms and the Palace Chapel, which was added to the building complex instead of a theatre, all date from this period.

 

Nonetheless, the rooms would be used for only a few years until 1789. After that date, the building passed into the ownership of another line of the Herberstein family, who seldom resided at Eggenberg.  For this reason, the Rococo décor and the great cycle of ceiling paintings, dating from the 17th century, remain unaltered to this day.

Schloss Eggenberg

Eggenberger Allee 90
8020 Graz, Österreich
T +43-316/8017-9560 und -9532
eggenberg@museum-joanneum.at

 

Opening Hours


Park and Gardens:
Until 26 March 2021: 
Daily open from 8am-5pm
27 March to October 2021: 
Daily open from 8am-7pm

The Planetary Room
From 27 March 2021:
Open Tue-Sun, public holidays 10am-5pm

The state rooms
Closed until further notice
Guided Tours: (and, therefore, visits to the state rooms) are not possible until further notice.

Alte Galerie, Archaeology Museum and Coin Cabinet
27 March to 31 October 2021:
Tue-Sun, public holidays 10am-5pm open

 

1 November 2021 to 31 March 2022:
Closed, but accessible as part of a guided tour by prior appointment until 19 December 2021
Please contact us: +43-316/8017-9560 or info-eggenberg@museum-joanneum.at

Open in addition:
5 April 2021
24 May 2021