The Master’s Garden

Jérôme Count Herberstein died in 1847 and the estate was passed on to his son, Johann Heinrich.

In 1848, Johann Heinrich ordered the head gardener Friedrich Wägener to create and build a private garden for him at the back of the palace. This garden was later known as the Breakfast or Master's Garden. Bordered by ornate wrought-iron fencing, the garden initially comprised ornamental boxwood "parterres de broderie", which were later simplified into an oval rose bed with surrounding box globes. This part of the garden always remained a much cherished area reserved only for the Count's family with a small wooden pavilion and water lily pond. After reviewing the archive records, a decision was made in 2004/5 to reconstruct the Master's Garden to reflect its late 19th century design. The pathways and the main oval rose bed with the surrounding box globes were repositioned in accordance with archaeological findings. When planting the borders, historic rose stocks were interspersed with perennials and the original little lily pond was later also found to be intact and uncovered. The lost pavilion was reconstructed according to a design taken from the "Ideenmagazin für Liebhaber von Gärten, Englischen Anlagen und für Besitzer von Landgütern" (Magazine of ideas for garden enthusiasts...), which was published by Johann Gottfried Grohmann from 1797 up to the 1840s. This magazine was much-used reference journal for the gardens at Eggenberg and can actually still be found in the Herberstein Library today.

Schloss Eggenberg

Eggenberger Allee 90
8020 Graz, Österreich
T +43-316/8017-9560 und -9532
eggenberg@museum-joanneum.at

 

Opening Hours


The state rooms
April to October, exceptions may apply

Guided Tours: Tue-Sun, public holidays at 10am, 11am, 12pm, 2pm, 3pm and 4pm, from May to September additionally at 5pm or by prior appointment .

Park and Gardens
1 November to 14 March daily from 8am - 5pm
15 March to 31 October daily from 8am - 7pm

Alte Galerie, Archaeology Museum and Coin Cabinet
1 November to 18 December admission only with guided tour by prior appointment
April to October Tue-Sun, public holidays 10am - 6pm 

Please contact us: +43-316/8017-9560
or info-eggenberg@museum-joanneum.at

Open in addition:
10 April 2023
1 May 2023
29 May 2023