Smoke house from Gams near Frohnleiten


Built: 1747
Year of translocation: T1979

This is one of several small structures serving the farmhouse kitchen. The smoking chamber is made of round logs. When the farmer’s wife wanted to cure meat, she lit a fire in the stove which is located about 4 m from the smoking chamber. From there, the smoke was piped into the smoking chamber. Because the smoke cooled down on the way it took longer to cure the meat, but produced better quality. Sometimes juniper berries were added to the wood which gave the meat a very distinctive, tangy flavour.

Austrian Open-Air Museum Stübing

Enzenbach 32
8114 Stübing, Österreich
T +43-3124/53700
F +43-3124/53700-18


Opening Hours

31 March to 31 October Mon-Sun, public holidays 9am - 6pm
Admission until 5pm