Saw mill, Kindthalgraben

Styria

Built: 1808
Year of translocation: 1966

This impressive structure was fully functional and still used until the late 1960s. The saw-mill is housed in a two-storey timber-frame building with a hipped shingle-covered roof. The saw is known as ‘Venetian saw’ and built to designs developed by Leonardo da Vinci. It is powered by a water-wheel, 4 m in diameter, which drives the gears at ground level which in turn operate the wooden carriage and the saw blade.

Austrian Open-Air Museum Stübing


8114 Stübing, Österreich
T +43-3124/53700
F +43-3124/53700-18
freilichtmuseum@museum-joanneum.at

 

Opening Hours
01. April to 31. October Mon-Sun, public holidays 9am - 5pm

Admission until 4pm