Säuerling barn-byre farmhouse from Einach

Styria

Built: 1581
Year of translocation: 1963

This two-storey log building, originally set high above the Murtal valley, combines both living quarters and barn under a single roof. The sections abut and are joined by the roof at the wall plate level. With its gable-side entrance, the building is a typical example of Salzburg and Carinthian vernacular architecture and dates back to the late High Middle Ages. The roof truss over an extension bears the date 1751. A more recent addition has been made in the barn area.

The Säuerling farmstead has preserved many of its original features. The spacious parlour/kitchen has a large double hearth and small windows at different levels, exuding a medieval atmosphere. Smoke from the hearth escapes through two flues in the gable end of the house. There is also a chamber with a tiled stove, bedrooms on the upper floor and a store room in the attic. The chamber room housed a cobbler’s workshop. Such workshops were still found in farmhouses in the region up until the mid-20th century. The cattle barn contained stalls for the cows and horses and a free stall for calves, as well as sheep pens and a pigsty. The farmhouse has a steep purlin roof covered with larch boards. The rafters are supported by trusses.

Austrian Open-Air Museum Stübing


8114 Stübing, Österreich
T +43-3124/53700
F +43-3124/53700-18
freilichtmuseum@museum-joanneum.at

 

Opening Hours
01. April to 31. October Mon-Sun, public holidays 9am - 5pm

Admission until 4pm