“Niggas” Farmhouse with grocery store, Rauchegg near Mooskirchen

Styria

Built: 1805
Year of translocation: 1972

The Niggas farmhouse is a good example of the regional version of cross-gable construction. The main portion was completed in 1805 which is also the date carved into the main beam in the living room. One part of the house is built of logs, the part housing the grocery shop is made of stone.

Shops such as this one were common in rural areas until the 1950s. They sold clothes, farm implements, household utensils, food and other goods which farmers needed. Among the items found in the shop today are traditional boilt sweets and cross-stitch patterns, old-fashioned metal-plate signs, a beautiful cast-iron cash register and much more.

 

Austrian Open-Air Museum Stübing


8114 Stübing, Österreich
T +43-3124/53700
F +43-3124/53700-18
freilichtmuseum@museum-joanneum.at

 

Opening Hours
01. April to 31. October Mon-Sun, public holidays 9am - 5pm

Admission until 4pm


01. April 2020 to 31. October 2020 Mon-Sun, public holidays 9am - 5pm

Admission until 4pm