Grain mill, Schnals

South Tyrol

Built: 1773/1830
Year of translocation: 1967

This grain mill is built of logs with notched joints and protruding ends and has a purlin roof covered with lathing. A wooden millrace carries the water to the overshot water-wheel which drives the gears and the millstones. The upper millstone, called the ‘runner’, revolves, the lower ‘bedder’ is fixed to the floor. Between them the grain was crushed into fine flour.

 

Austrian Open-Air Museum Stübing


8114 Stübing, Österreich
T +43-3124/53700
F +43-3124/53700-18
freilichtmuseum@museum-joanneum.at

 

Opening Hours
26. March 2021 to 31. October 2021 Mon-Sun, public holidays 9am - 5pm

Admission until 4pm


01. November 2021 to 31. March 2022 closed.
01. April 2022 to 31. October 2022 Mon-Sun, public holidays 9am - 5pm

Admission until 4pm


01. November 2022 to 31. March 2023 closed.