Corn mill from Lamm in the Lungau region

Salzburg

Built: 1919
Year of translocation: 1973

From the Middle Ages until the 1950s water-powered corn mills like this one were found in most alpine valleys.A millrace takes the water to the overshot water-wheel which provides power for a pair of millstones via a set of wooden gears and shafts.

The miller filled the grain into the hoppers at the top. From there it was fed down to the millstones. The bran shaker separated the bran from the white flour. Finally, the flour was passed through the separator into the flour chest.The mill has a shingle-covered saddle-back roof with an overhang above the wheel to shield it from the sun.

 

Austrian Open-Air Museum Stübing


8114 Stübing, Österreich
T +43-3124/53700
F +43-3124/53700-18
freilichtmuseum@museum-joanneum.at

 

Opening Hours
01. April to 31. October Mon-Sun, public holidays 9am - 5pm

Admission until 4pm