The history of the Hunting Museum

The history of the Hunting Collection began in 1941, when the ‘Museum for Biotechnology and Hunting’ was founded. In 1949 the collections of this museum were transferred to Schloss Eggenberg as part of the 25th Styrian Hunting Exhibition. The department for hunting at the Joanneum was eventually founded in 1951, its first head was Wilhelm Hoffer. At the initiative of his successor, Philipp Meran, the Hunting Museum was at last opened in Schloss Eggenberg in 1953, remaining at this location until 1998.

 

In 2003 the Hunting Collection was finally moved to Schloss Stainz, where the new Hunting Museum was opened in 2006. 

Hunting Museum, Schloss Stainz

Schlossplatz 1
8510 Stainz, Österreich
T +43-3463/2772-16
F +43-3463/2772-21
jagd@museum-joanneum.at

 

Opening Hours
01. April to 05. November Tue-Sun, public holidays 10am - 5pm
24. March 2018 to 31. October 2018 Tue-Sun, public holidays 10am - 5pm

 

2nd April 2018
21st May 2018