The history of the Hunting Museum

The history of the Hunting Collection began in 1941, when the ‘Museum for Biotechnology and Hunting’ was founded. In 1949 the collections of this museum were transferred to Schloss Eggenberg as part of the 25th Styrian Hunting Exhibition. The department for hunting at the Joanneum was eventually founded in 1951, its first head was Wilhelm Hoffer. At the initiative of his successor, Philipp Meran, the Hunting Museum was at last opened in Schloss Eggenberg in 1953, remaining at this location until 1998.

 

In 2003 the Hunting Collection was finally moved to Schloss Stainz, where the new Hunting Museum was opened in 2006. 

Hunting Museum and Agriculture Museum, Schloss Stainz

Schlossplatz 1
8510 Stainz, Österreich
T +43-3463/2772-16
info-stainz@museum-joanneum.at

 

Opening Hours
27. March 2021 to 28. November 2021 Tue-Sun, public holidays 10am - 5pm
29. November 2021 to 31. March 2022 closed.
01. April 2022 to 30. November 2022 Tue-Sun, public holidays 10am - 5pm
01. December 2022 to 31. March 2023 closed.

 

1st November 2021
18th April 2022
6th June 2022
15th August 2022