Neue Galerie, Graz
Since November 2011 the Neue Galerie Graz occupies a large museum building, refurbished to the most modern standards, with an exhibition area of over 2000 square meters. In 1941, the Neue Galerie Graz emerged from the division of the Landesbildergalerie into separate galleries the Alte and Neue Galerie, and since then has taken over the part of the collection that dates from its time of origin in the 19th century to today.
Since the 1960s the Neue Galerie has followed the development of various contemporary artistic positions, and documented them in its collection. The collection’s holdings today include art movements like Biedermeier, Realism, Jugendstil and (regional) forms of classical Modernity, positions of Austrian and international painting after 1945 (including from the so-called “Trigon” countries), Viennese Actionism, Media and Conceptual Art, etc.. The collection has work in different media such as painting, graphic art, poster art, sculpture, photography and video, and contains more than 60,000 objects in total.
A focus within the Neue Galerie Graz is the BRUSEUM, which has a permanent exhibition area and space for its own collection and research, allowing for scientific investigation into the extensive work of Günter Brus.
Under the Spell of Modernism
With this comprehensive exhibition and the catalogue raisonné that accompanies it, a long-held wish on the part of the Neue Galerie Graz and the public is finally realised, enabling an Austrian pioneer of Modernism once again to be brought closer to a wider audience.
Günter Brus and Franz Graf
- Permanent Collection
- kioer permanent
Permanent Exhibition in the Neue Galerie, Graz